An ammonia leak at an Oxnard, CA, onion facility left 10 workers injured Monday, officials said.
Fire officials got the call at 5 p.m. at 1051 Pacific Ave., at the Gills Onions facility, said officials at the Ventura County Fire dispatch information. The call brought ambulances, firefighters and HazMat crews to the scene.
Oxnard firefighters described finding an ammonia leak at the site. Four ambulances were initially requested along with hazardous materials teams.
Fire crews said 71 employees at the facility were all accounted for.
They ultimately reported treating 10 patients. Of those, eight complained of minor problems, while two experienced moderate health complaints. The patients were decontaminated at the scene and taken to local hospitals for treatment.
No other information was immediately available.