Two people suffered injuries after an ammonia leak Tuesday at Dean Foods in Belvidere, IL, officials said.

Fire crews got the call to Dean Foods for a possible ammonia leak around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, said Belvidere Fire Chief Al Hyser.

Chlorine Spill Forces Evac
Lightning Strikes NE Fertilizer Plant
Blaze at MA Cooking Oil Processing Plant
Dust Explosion at WI Feed Facility

The leak happened after a piece of equipment suffered an “accidental catastrophic failure.”

Fire crews said two people were injured, a worker and a bystander.

Schneider Bold

Ammonia is used for refrigeration, according to Boone County Fire District 2 Deputy Chief Bob Koehn.

The leak was contained to two rooms, Hyser said.

Hyser also said everyone was evacuated safely and there was no danger to the public.

Fire crews were at the scene trying to figure it out how to get the odor out of the building. Belvidere firefighters said 13 emergency agencies worked almost 12 hours Tuesday to clear an ammonia leak from a Belvidere business.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This