3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH released a new version to mitigate a cross-site scripting vulnerability in its CODESYS V3 Library Manager, according to a report with CISA.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability, discovered by Heinz Füglister of WRH Walter Reist Holding AG, may allow malicious content from manipulated libraries to be displayed or executed.
All 32 and 64 bit CODESYS Development System V3 versions prior to 18.104.22.168 are affected by this vulnerability.
In the vulnerability, the system displays active library content without checking the validity, which may allow the contents of manipulated libraries to be displayed or executed. The issue also exists for source libraries, but 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH recommends distributing compiled libraries only.
CVE-2019-13538 is the case number assigned to this vulnerability, which has a CVSS v3 base score of 8.6.
The product sees use mainly in the critical manufacturing sector. It also sees action on a global basis.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely. However, an attacker with low skill level could leverage the vulnerability.
Germany-based 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH released Version 22.214.171.124 to resolve this vulnerability for all affected CODESYS products.
Click on the CODESYS update page for more information on how to obtain the software update.
As part of a security strategy, 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH recommends the following general defense measures to reduce the risk of exploits:
• Use controllers and devices only in a protected environment to minimize network exposure and ensure that they are not accessible from outside
• Use firewalls to protect and separate the control system network from other networks
• Use VPN (virtual private networks) tunnels if remote access is required
• Activate and apply user management and password features
• Limit the access to both development and control system by physical means, operating system features
• Protect both development and control system by using up to date virus detecting solutions
For more information and general recommendations for protecting machines and plants, see also the CODESYS security whitepaper.
For more information, 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH released a security report.