After a valve broke off from a tank, 5,700 gallons of nitric acid was spilled at a chemical company in Minneapolis, MN, Friday.
The spill at Hawkins Chemical has been contained, but an estimated 600 to 700 gallons of nitric acid ended up poured into the storm drain, fire officials said.
When the valve was knocked from a tank, the building ended up evacuated and no injuries have been reported, officials said.
Nitric acid is a highly corrosive chemical used in manufacturing and fertilizer.
Although this incident was a hazardous chemical spill, nitric acid is one of the easier ones for fire crews to handle, a fire official said.