Having a safety plan and workers that follow the plan really paid off after an evacuation ended up ordered at Wayne Farms in Laurel, MS, after an equipment failure led to an ammonia leak late Sunday night, officials said.
Medical teams ended up called to the processing facility to examine workers who may have been exposed to the hazardous gas, said Jones County EMA Executive Director, Paul Sheffield.
Wayne Farms followed proper safety protocol after the equipment failure, Sheffield said.
After they got the all clear, officials went through the facility around midnight to make sure it was safe for workers to reenter the building, he said.
Sheffield said a portion of Interstate 59 near the facility was shut down for 30 to 40 minutes during the initial response to the gas leak. All lanes of the interstate have since reopened.
No homes in the area around Wayne Farms were in any kind of danger, he said.