A tank leaking anhydrous ammonia forced a Hazmat crew response Thursday in southwest Platte County, MO.
Just after 2:30 p.m., crew members were able to cap the valve and the leak stopped flowing. The 800-gallon tank is in a field near a quarter-mile west of Farley, MO. Roads in the area ended up closed off, said Southern Platte Fire Chief Richard Carrizzo.
A vapor cloud was hovering over the area and officials were recommending an evacuation within a half-mile radius of the tank.
Anhydrous ammonia comes in either a liquid or gas form that is corrosive to tissues upon contact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It sees use in manufacturing, refrigeration, and agriculture, such as fertilizer.
Ammonia can end up absorbed into the body by inhalation, ingestion, eye contact, and skin contact.
At this time, there were no injuries reported. The leak, apparently caused by a broken valve, went on for about an hour before crews were able to cap the valve.