Several people were taken to the hospital with burns after a sulfuric acid spill at a Sioux City, IA, plant Monday.
Firefighters responded to the chemical spill at noon at the Feed Energy facility.
Feed Energy makes animal feed products and uses acid in its production process.
Sulfuric acid is a colorless and odorless liquid that is highly toxic. In addition to burning skin upon contact, the chemical can also cause permanent blindness if it gets into the eyes.
While fire crews said several workers at the plant ended up taken to the hospital, there was no immediate word on the extent of their injuries.
Feed Energy’s mission is to provide high performance energy and essential nutrition to livestock and poultry through science based solutions, according to its website.
The company did not return calls for comment on the incident.