A malfunctioning scrubber machine left 70 Carson, CA, residents feeling ill after suffering exposure Monday to sulfuric acid that leaked at the Solvay chemical plant, officials said.
Carson area residents complained of throat and nose irritation and vomiting after exposure to an “apparent sulfuric acid release in the air from a neighboring business,” said Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesman Robert Diaz.
Thirteen people ended up treated at local hospitals and later released, Fire Department official Phil Ulloa said. Rescue workers treated others at the scene.
Ulloa said the leak was the result of a scrubber machine malfunctioning at the Solvay chemical plant. It was not immediately clear if there were any workers at the Solvay plant at the time of the leak.
Diaz said any threat to public safety “had been mitigated.” Carson is a city of about 92,000 in Los Angeles County.