A formal investigation is starting up at the JBS Swift beef processing plant in Grand Island, NE, following an accident that sent five employees to the hospital Sunday night.
Darwin Craig with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) said the office is looking into the incident.
Five workers are recovering from exposure to dangerous chemicals during an accident that forced an evacuation of the plant.
Emergency crews ended up called to the JBS Swift plant around 10 p.m. Sunday after bleach mistakenly pumped into a container of acid at the plant.
Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Scmidt said the mixture of chemicals caused a reaction that produced toxic gas.
Part of the plant ended up evacuated for more than an hour while the ventilation system worked to clear the gas.
Five workers ended up treated for exposure at a Grand Island hospital Sunday night and released.
Company officials did not immediately respond to messages Monday morning, so it wasn’t clear how the incident affected production.