An equipment failure led to the release of anhydrous ammonia from a Perdue Farms poultry processing plant in Milford, DE, Nov. 27, state officials said.
A mechanical failure in a pump led to the release of 200 lbs. of anhydrous ammonia on Nov. 27, said officials at the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.
Perdue spokesman Joe Forsthoffer said the plant temporarily evacuated after workers smelled ammonia. There were no injuries.
They use anhydrous ammonia a refrigerant and that the incident ended up reported to the appropriate authorities, said company spokeswoman Julie DeYoung.