There was an ammonia spill at a Talenti Gelato factory in Marietta, GA, which kept Cobb County firefighters busy on a Friday afternoon and evening cleaning it all up.
“There were about 20 or so people inside, but they were evacuated immediately,” said Marietta Fire Capt. George McKeehan about the Dec. 18 incident.
They all made it out safely, and firefighters worked nine hours containing the ammonia.
“They used ammonia as a refrigerant to flash-freeze their ice cream at a super low temperature,” McKeehan said. “Once we shut off the supply of ammonia, there’s still going to be some that’s still in the system seeping out.”
Two nearby buildings evacuated as a precaution. One of them was the Amrep building, which burned for hours a year and a half ago.
“They’re going to continue monitoring throughout the area with their monitor … just to make sure levels are going the way they want them,” McKeehan said.
Officials feared ammonia got into the insulation, but the EPA said that would end up cleaned and a crew will begin repairs.