A fire at the Pilgrim’s Pride Chicken Plant in Guntersville, AL, ended up caused by a mechanical issue that led to an ammonia leak, fire officials said.
Firefighters in Guntersville said a fire at the Pilgrim’s Pride Chicken Plant was caused by some sort of mechanical issue that led to an ammonia leak.
Workers initially believed it was the ammonia leak that caused the fire.
Fire crews said the fire broke out just after 5 a.m. Thursday. Albertville Fire with Huntsville Fire’s HazMat team responded to the scene to help Guntersville Fire crews.
Workers at the plant immediately evacuated and fire officials ordered a shelter in place for nearby residents. Officials said there are no injuries. Two other plants nearby shut down after the fire. Guntersville Police said they asked all neighbors in the area to keep their windows shut and stay inside after the leak.
The Pilgrim’s Pride Chicken Plant closed Thursday and all workers were sent home for the day.