Schneider Electric launched the Foxboro Smart pH Sensor and Transmitter that combines a rugged polyvinylidene difluoride (PVDF) body with enhanced smart capabilities for customers who need high performance and longer life with more reliable calibrations.
Using Smart Sensor technology, the device can end up calibrated at any time against a “standard” or “reference” transmitter, or laptop PC, in the instrument shop. The calibration parameters then end up stored in an on-board memory chip. When performing a field calibration, operators take the pre-calibrated Smart Sensor to the field, connect it to the transmitter, and allow the transmitter to upload the calibration parameters.
“The Foxboro Smart Sensor Technology delivers easier, faster, and more reliable field calibration and helps to prevent common measurement errors typical in electrochemical systems that come from imperfect field system calibration,” said Schneider Electric Product Manager Joseph Downey.
Other features of the new PH10 Smart Sensor include:
• Design incorporates a rugged PVDF body, flat membrane sensing electrode, and Nafion ion barrier to protect the internal reference and reduce fouling. The ruggedness also extends the product’s service life, resulting in decreased maintenance costs and a lower overall cost of ownership compared to other pH sensors.
• Sensor stores other parameters, such as glass resistance, reference resistance, date of manufacture, serial number, sales order number, and history logs to help manage the deployment and performance of the pH sensor.
• Sensor can be calibrated with a PC using an interface cable and Field Device Tool Group certified software.
• Sensor incorporates digital technology. The pH and temperature signals are converted from analog to digital in the sensor body through the use of on-board electronics. The electronics also provide memory so the pH calibration can end up stored in the sensor.
Among the features of the 876PH Smart Transmitter are:
• Sensor and Transmitter Diagnostics — Sensor faults such as broken glass and coated reference are continuously checked. This feature allows maintenance to be better managed, reducing costs and ensuring asset availability.
• Save and Restore Configurations — Up to two unique configuration profiles can be saved, facilitating a quick and easy change, saving operator time and cost.