A fire in a turbine unit at the Calpine Granite Ridge power plant in Londonderry, NH, Thursday was likely caused by a mechanical failure that made equipment overheat, officials said.
“It turned out it was a fire in one of their turbine units,” said Londonderry Fire Battalion Chief Mike McQuillen. The alarm was activated at 11:20 a.m. and crews got the fire under control at 2:41 p.m.
McQuillen said they used a dry chemical in powder form to extinguish the blaze.
The fire was contained to the two-story turbine room and crews worked with the company to reroute natural gas lines and hydraulic lines feeding to the turbine to prevent the spread of the fire or any potential explosions.
The fire department is still investigating but McQuillen said the cause is likely a mechanical failure which made the machine overheat.
Crews rotated about every 15 to 20 minutes because of the high heat, McQuillen said.
And the rehab team from the Southern New Hampshire Hazardous Materials Mutual Aid District provided hydration.
“Which, on a day like today, was very valuable to us,” McQuillen said, referring to the 80-degree temperature.