A bulging drum of hydrogen peroxide at Knowles Manufacturing in Madison County, New York, prompted a hazardous materials response last Wednesday.
The Syracuse Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Response Team(HazMat) ended up called to assist after the drum was found in the chemical room at the manufacturing plant.
The drum contained 50 percent hydrogen peroxide and was bulging unsafely, officials said. In high concentrations in laboratory or industrial settings, hydrogen peroxide can pose serious health and safety hazards, according to MSDS Online. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer (moderate oxidizer in lower concentrations), and can be corrosive to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. This chemical can cause burns to the skin and tissue damage to the eyes.
The building ended up evacuated and no workers or citizens were exposed, officials said. The chemical room also contained plastic drums of methanol, so crews said they exercised extra precautions.
The HazMat team depressurized the bulging drum within an hour, halting the threat. No one suffered an injury in the incident, officials said.