A hydrogen cyanide leak prompted evacuations at PAML Spokane Wednesday night.
Spokane, WA, Fire Department crews got the call at 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. They remained on scene until around 4:30 a.m. Thursday, officials said.
Crews struggled to find the source of the chemical leak at first, but ultimately found a bad battery that was leaking the chemical. PAML Spokane is a 60-year-old medical-testing laboratory located in Spokane, WA.
Hydrogen cyanide exposure typically causes respiratory problems and, in cases of long exposure, can be fatal, according to fire officials.
No employees suffered exposure to the chemical long enough to suffer long-term health issues, Spokane Fire officials said. No employees suffered injuries in the incident.