To construct flexible and cost-effective IP video surveillance systems, integrators often take advantage of Power over Ethernet (PoE) switches, especially in outdoor locations.
The challenge, however, lies in ensuring PoE switches can provide high power output and sufficient network bandwidth while remaining highly available and reliable, even when operating in conditions of extreme temperatures, harsh environments, high environmental noise, and potential cybersecurity risks.
Along those lines, Moxa launched its EDS-P506E-4PoE series of PoE switches. In addition to being exceptionally rugged, each of the new switch’s four ports deliver up to 60W to power IP cameras employing energy-draining functions such as PTZ, illumination, heaters, wipers and fans.
Built-in Smart PoE Powered Device (PD) detection and plug-and-play integration eliminate the hassles of installation for effortless supply of power to any PD. Device-level cybersecurity, remote control, and the capability to monitor powered devices round-out the EDS-P506E-4PoE’s impressive feature set, and qualify it to meet the operational requirements of Intelligent Transportation Systems, traffic monitoring, and public utilities, among others. SFP fiber ports can transmit data up to 75 miles from the device to the control center with high EMI immunity, while its two Gigabit combo ports support high-bandwidth communications.
“When deploying multiple IP surveillance cameras on industrial networks, there are several advantages to deploying PoE solutions as opposed to using separate power and Ethernet lines,” said Jackey Hsueh, product manager of Moxa’s Industrial Ethernet Infrastructure Division. “Owners need to carefully consider specific features when selecting an PoE switch in order to meet their requirements, such as a high-power PoE design, available bandwidth, fault recovery features, and last but not least, cybersecurity protection.”
• 2-port Gigabit and 4-port Fast Ethernet with PoE+/60 W functionality
• Up to 60 W output per PoE port
• Supports 12/24/48 VDC wide input voltage
• Web-based Smart PoE tool for easy operation and monitoring of PoE powered devices
• Cybersecurity features based on the IEC 62443 standard
• 4 kV LAN surge protection and -40 to 75°C operating temperature tolerance
• Supports MXstudio industrial network management suite for large-scale deployments and management
• Compliance with the IEC 61850 and IEEE 1613 standards