A nut-roasting plant in Phoenix evacuated Monday after a large burner oven caught fire, officials said.
The oven, fueled by natural gas, burned quickly and at very high temperatures and created enough smoke to fill the large commercial building occupied by Suntree, a trailmix company, said Capt. Larry Subervi, spokesman for the Phoenix Fire Department.
One person suffered minor smoke inhalation and ended up treated at the scene. About 25 other employees in the direct vicinity of the fire were able to evacuate, Subervi said.
The fire started at about 3 p.m. and almost 50 firefighters went to the scene, officials said.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the burner, but the almonds roasting in the oven ended up severely burned, Subervi said.