Two men at the PET dairy plant in Richmond, VA, found a 250-gallon tote container that had a gas leak, officials said.
After discovering the issue Dec. 22, the men called 911 and Richmond fire and HazMat crews responded to the scene. The regional HazMat from Henrico was also called to assist. Crews used a forklift to bring the tote outside and handled the cleanup.
There were no injuries. There was no official evacuation. The only people that evacuated the building were the two men that found the leak, officials said. Sherwood Avenue behind the PET plant was isolated, and people inside nearby buildings also received notification.
Richmond fire officials said they did not know what type of gas was leaking.
The PET facility is in the process of shutting down, and the company is selling the building.