Your one-stop web resource providing safety and security information to manufacturers

A deviation in anything safety related is always a recipe for disaster and that is exactly what happened in a transmission tower collapse in June that left two workers dead.

This procedural deviation occurred when workers were replacing a guy wire which caused the transmission tower collapse that killed two workers near Come by Chance, New Foundland, Canada, according to an investigation completed by the contractor.

Worker Killed at CO Coal Plant
Lift Device Kills PA Packaging Plant Worker
FL Slag Tank Blast Kills 2, Injures 4
5 Hurt after MI Steel Plant Blast

In a statement last Saturday, Forbes Bros. said tower work is underway now that Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) has lifted its stop work order. 

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro said Forbes, the contractor, determined the cause after a detailed investigation into the incident and a full review of its procedures and oversight of work activities. 

Cyber Security

Jared Moffat, 34, of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan and Tim McLean, 31, of Nipigon, Ontario, died when a steel transmission tower collapsed June 19. The men were working with Edmonton-based Forbes on the Bay D’Espoir-western Avalon power transmission line. 

“The direct cause of the incident was a deviation from standard process in the change out of a guy wire,” Forbes officials said the statement. “This action created instability in the tower, resulting in it falling to the ground.”

Hydro said Occupational Health and Safety is still investigating, but helicopter-erection of transmission towers resumed late Friday after OHS lifted the stop work order. 

“As tower installation and other work resumes, our priority remains on the safety of all our workers and ensuring that an accident like this never happens again,” Hydro said.  

Forbes said it’s committed to employee safety as well, and both companies are working with OHS officials on the investigation and “a staged return to work plan,” Hydro said in a statement.

An inspection of all previously installed towers on the new transmission line, ordered by OHS, has found those towers are safe.

A third-party audit of installation processes for all guy-supported towers on the line is now complete as well, finding all towers “were designed and erected according to industry best practices.”

All work on the transmission line halted June 19 after the fatal tower collapse.

It’s not clear yet why there was a break in the usual procedure for replacing the guy wire – a cable that helps stabilize the free-standing towers – or what exactly that deviation was. 

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This