Six people at Tradebe Treatment and Recycling Northeast in Newington, NH, ended up in the hospital suffering from exposure from “corrosive” chemical thionyl chloride, fire officials said.
The victims ended up transported to the hospital by ambulance Monday morning, said Fire Chief Andy Head.
The most seriously injured was a male employee who “was complaining of burns to his lap area” after the chemical spilled on him, the fire chief said. He was “immediately placed into a shower for decontamination from the substance,” then transported by ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, the fire chief said.
Five other employees went to the hospital as a precaution after reporting “throat and breathing irritation,” Head said. They did walk to the ambulances.
Emergency responders received the call for the incident at 410 Shattuck Way at 8:45 a.m., when the building evacuated. Head said the spill occurred outside the building and ended up contained “to the immediate area.” Tradebe is cleaning up the spill.
According to the Tradebe Environmental Web site, the company recycles hazardous materials “into beneficial products and substitute fuels.”
A message left with the company seeking comment went unanswered.
Rose Ohar, area director for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, said her office planned to investigate.