A home explosion in the vicinity of a gas leak left two Homer Glen, IL, residents with injuries Thursday afternoon.
A Nicor gas leak occurred at 1:30 p.m. and all residents within a half-mile radius ended up ordered to evacuate, fire officials said.
The injured, a father and daughter, went to Silver Cross Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, officials said. They later ended up airlifted to a burn unit at Loyola University Medical Hospital, said Mayor George Yukich.
Automated calls went out around 4:30 p.m. telling people to evacuate immediately, and as of 10:28 p.m., the gas leak had been capped, officials said.
The house was about two blocks away from the leak, Yukich said.
“No one knows for sure what happened,” he said.
Nicor said its employees “worked throughout the night to locate and stop the source of the … leak.”
The company said “the area is safe and repairs remain ongoing.” There were still 23 customers without natural gas service as of early Friday morning, Nicor officials said. Service to those customers will end up restored once workers make the repairs, the company said.
At an 8 p.m. news conference, Nicor spokesman Joe DelReal said Nicor still had not found why the home exploded in the 14100 block of Parker Road.
Nicor crews, which had been on the scene since 2:49 p.m, had tried to isolate the area. But not everyone left their homes, officials said.
About 12 to 16 homes continued to be without gas Thursday night and those residents had to make other arrangements, DelReal said.
Todd Fanfara, deputy chief of the Northwest Homer Fire Protection District, said his department got the call at 1:30 p.m. to check on a report of a gas leak and called Nicor.
While public safety workers were going door to door to evacuate people, the home exploded at 4:12 p.m., Fanfara said.
On Thursday night, dozens of evacuees were eating pizza and swapping stories at the village hall.
DelReal said he had “no idea” when they would be able to return home.
When asked if he was concerned about another explosion, DelReal said, crews were to continually monitor the gas levels in the area.