Workers doing some work in a CHS fertilizer plant in Colton, SD, created some sparks which generated a fire Saturday evening.
Fire crews got the call at 5 p.m. Saturday, with more crews responding due to the nature of the chemicals inside the building.
Officials said workers were in the building where the fertilizer was stored, they were doing some work and sparks flew which created a fire in a sulfur bin.
Workers were able to evacuate and there were no injuries in the incident.
The chemicals nearby are very dangerous, so Colton’s fire chief called out four other departments.
The fire was in a tower of the building that contained sulfur. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire with no major damage done to the steel building.
When crews arrived they said they could see smoke coming from the top of one of the towers.
Firefighters and emergency personnel from Colton, Chester, Dell Rapids, Minnehaha County and more were at the scene until about 7 p.m. making sure hot spots ended up contained.