After the wrong chemical went into a tank at the Roanoke River Service Authority Water Treatment Works in Mecklenburg County, VA, 11 people ended up at the hospital.
The 11 people include seven firefighters, one rescue crew member, two employees at the plant and a delivery driver. Some of people went to the hospital because they inhaled chemical fumes, others as a precaution.
The HazMat incident has not affected the water supply in the county and the water is safe, authorities said.
A tanker truck driver offloading chemicals at the plant accidentally put the wrong chemical in the wrong tank, officials said.
HazMat crews came in to remove the chemical.
Sheriff’s deputies went door to door to tell people who live near the plant about why there were a large number of fire and EMS crews in the area.