Ten people guilty of installing card skimmers on gas pumps stealing credit card details received sentences totaling 30 years last week.
Two other people involved with the group, Juan Carlos Banos of Parma and Carlos Rodriguez Martinez of Aurora Colorado are still at large and are being actively investigated by U.S. law enforcement agencies.
“This group stole credit card information from thousands of people all over Northeast Ohio just looking to fill up their gas tanks and continue on their way,” said U.S. Attorney Justin E. Herdman.
“Instead, these victims had their personal information taken and used to make fraudulent credit cards, which this group in turn used to steal merchandise.”
The ten people were sentenced to prison for taking part in the credit-card skimming operation which took place across five states and consisted of the process of installing credit-card skimmers on point-of-sale terminals inside gas pumps.
In addition, the information stolen using the skimmers was later used by the group to create counterfeit credit cards used to buy goods such as merchandise and gift cards.
“The defendants traveled from Florida to install the skimmers and worked together to distract gas station employees and/or obstruct their view while the skimmers were covertly installed,” according to a Department of Justice (DoJ) release.
The credit card skimmers installed during the criminal operation were found in multiple locations, from Rocky River, Solon, Stow, Hudson, Fairview Park, and Medina, to Cleveland, Canton, Cuyahoga Falls, Norton, and Austintown.
The following are the names and sentences for the 10 found guilty:
1. Ranset Rodriguez, 41, of Miami: 81 months in federal prison
2. Jose Manuel Iglesias, 52, of West New York, New Jersey: 81 months in federal prison
3. Yaniris Alfonso, 32, of Miami: 57 months in federal prison
4. Edelberto Hernandez, 46, of Kiowa, Colorado: 33 months in federal prison
5. Yadian Quesada-Hernandez, 32, of Tampa: 30 months in federal prison
6. Alejandro Moises, 53, of Miami: 24 months in federal prison
7. Luis Enrique Jimenez Gonzales, 28, of Hialeah, Florida: 24 months in federal prison
8. Eddy Pimentel-Vila, 46, of Jersey City, New Jersey: 24 months in federal prison
9. Yonasky Rosa, 35, of Tampa: 22 months in federal prison
10. Lester Enrique Castaneda, 39, of Hialeah, Florida: six months in federal prison and six months of home detention