Two employees of a Washington, IA, renewable energy company ended up treated for smoke inhalation on Christmas Eve after a piece of equipment caught fire.
The fire began at about 1 a.m. Saturday at the Iowa Renewable Energy biodiesel facility in Washington, company officials said.
Three employees were in the building at the time the fire began, and all three followed safety protocols until firefighters arrived and contained the fire, the company said.
Two of the employees ended up treated for minor smoke inhalation. No chemicals released during the fire, company officials said.
Iowa Renewable Energy has 28 employees, and the Washington plant can produce 36 million gallons of biodiesel per year from fats and vegetables like soybean oil and recycled restaurant grease.