A chemical fire at a metal-plating operation forced authorities to evacuate an eight-block area of Columbia City, IN.
Residents in the Columbia City neighborhood were able return home at 4 p.m. Friday after firefighters extinguished the blaze at C&R Plating Corp. The fire report came in about 1 p.m.
Officials identified the chemical involved as sodium hydrosulfite, which can irritate breathing, skin and eyes. Fire officials asked residents six blocks away to shut their windows and turn off their air conditioners.
A company employee ended up treated and released from the hospital after inhaling fumes, and some police officers received treatment for skin irritation and also released.
The company’s website says it does nickel plating, and other finishing processes.