Maryland-based contractor Power Factor LLC is facing $39,836 in fines for four serious violations for exposing workers to electrical hazards after an employee was fatally electrocuted while installing solar panels on a building in Fort Riley, Kansas, said officials at the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Inspectors found the employee was hoisting a metal rail that came into contact with energized overhead power lines.
OSHA cited Power Factor LLC for permitting employees to work in close proximity to electrical power circuits without de-energizing and grounding the circuits, or guarding the circuits using insulation or other means; and failing to maintain a safety program to conduct regular inspections of the jobsite, and train workers to recognize and avoid hazards.
In addition, the employer did not train empolyees to recognize, evaluate and control electrical shock hazards while employees were working near overhead power lines, investigators said.
“This tragedy could have been prevented if the employer had complied with electrical standards that require maintaining a safe distance from unprotected energized power lines, training employees, and providing personal protective equipment,” said OSHA Wichita Area Director Ryan Hodge.