Environmental damage continues at Japan’s stricken nuclear reactor after more than 45 tons of highly radioactive water leaked from the Fukushima Dai-ichi power station this past weekend. At issue is some of the water possibly reached the nearby Pacific Ocean, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco) officials said.

The leak counteracts assurances Tepco said it has controlled damage at the coastal nuclear plant, located about 220 miles northeast of Tokyo, which it plans to bring to a total shutdown by year’s end.

Japan Quake: Cooling Condenser in Question
Tepco Detects Nuclear Fission
Report: 30 Years Before Nuke can Close
New Report: Japan Radiation Release Doubled

On March 11, a massive earthquake-triggered tsunami hit the 1970s-era plant and knocked out its cooling system, eventually leading to several reactor-core meltdowns. The catastrophe, which experts have called the largest single release of radioactivity into the ocean, has threatened fisheries in the region and caused the evacuation of 80,000 residents near the facility.

Since March, engineers attempted to cool the ailing plant’s reactors by flooding them with water, which suffers contamination with radioactivity in the process.

Schneider Bold

Tepco installed a new circulatory cooling system in September, with filters that decontaminate and recycle the cooling water. However, the company said some water has already leaked into the ocean and thousands of tons more remain in the flooded basements of the plant’s reactor buildings.

According to a statement on the utility’s website, workers discovered Sunday morning that radioactive water was pooling in a runoff container near one of those purification devices.

The system shut down and the leak apparently ceased, but workers later found highly radioactive water leaking from cracks in the container’s concrete wall into a gutter that leads to the ocean.

Employees stemmed the leak with sandbags.

Tepco officials said as much as 220 tons of water may now have leaked from the damaged facility since the disaster struck nearly nine months ago.

The water from Sunday’s leak measured at 16,000 becquerels per liter of cesium-134, and 29,000 becquerels per liter of cesium-137, the utility said. Those numbers are 270 times and 322 times higher, respectively, than government safety limits, experts said.

Meanwhile an interim report released by Tepco last week captured the desperation workers faced when the tsunami hit the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant in March.

“I felt I could do nothing. Other operators appeared anxious, and said, ‘When we cannot control [the reactors] and are helpless, is there any point in us staying here?’ ” The chief of the reactors’ central control room said in the utility’s internal investigation report released Friday. “So, I bowed my head and asked them to stay.”

Another worker interviewed by officials was part of an effort to vent the containment vessels around the nuclear cores to prevent an explosion.

“I heard some big weird popping sounds … and when I tried to start working … my black rubber boots melted [because of the heat],” he said.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This