Security provider, Mocana Corporation, is partnering with Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) connectivity firm, Real-Time Innovations (RTI), to offer an integrated solution to scale protected data communications.
RTI Connext DDS is a software framework that shares information in real-time, making IIoT applications work together as one, integrated system.
Supply Chain Security Task Force Launches
Cybersecurity Key to New Energy Manufacturing Institute
Critical Infrastructure Protection Platform Expands
DHS, Israel Partner on Advanced Technologies
Based on the Object Management Group Data Distribution Service (OMG DDS) standard, RTI Connext DDS is a connectivity framework designed IIoT systems.
Mocana TrustPoint is an endpoint security software platform for embedded systems. Used by manufacturers to protect more than 100 million mission-critical industrial machines and IoT devices, Mocana TrustPoint is on-device security software for IIoT applications.
Mocana TrustPoint includes a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine and software to make devices tamper-resistant while securing device storage, communications and applications.
RTI’s integration with Mocana’s TrustCenter device security management platform enables users to automate, scale and gain control over the security lifecycle of their devices. Mocana TrustCenter enables zero-touch, automated device enrollment and in-field provisioning of credentials and authenticated updates on headless devices.
Integrating RTI Connext DDS with Mocana TrustPoint and TrustCenter enables manufacturers and industrial operators to accelerate the development of secure industrial control systems (ICS) and IoT devices while enabling compliance with cybersecurity standards such as IEC 62443-3-3, NIST 800-53, NERC CIP 003-7, and U.S. FIPS 140-2.
Key features and benefits of the integration of RTI Connext DDS and Mocana include:
• High-performance, deterministic IoT connectivity using RTI Connext DDS
• Support for automated machine-to-machine (M2M) communications with real-time Quality of Service (QoS)
• Fine-grained security to protect data-in-motion without compromising network performance or bandwidth.
• Easy migration path from OpenSSL to a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine
• Tamper-resistant cybersecurity controls integrated into IoT and ICS devices
• Accelerated compliance with NIST 800-53, NERC CIP 003, and IEC 62443-3-3
• Support for authentication, secure key storage, and remote attestation using Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0
• Ability to use RTI Connext DDS within a secure virtualized environment, such as a Docker container, Linux container or virtual machine
• Capability to scale and automate device certificate enrollment, in addition to software and firmware updates through the lifecycle of the device
“In large, distributed systems, connecting the edge to the backend allows developers to effectively combine data and analytics, delivering on the promise of the Industrial IoT,” said David Barnett, vice president of products and markets, RTI. “However, with more interconnection, these mission-critical systems require stronger levels of security than they have previously had.”