Regulators failed to collect air samples in the week following a radiation release at a New Mexico nuclear waste dump because of a vacancy in the office responsible for monitoring the site at the time, a state official said on Friday.

The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, which houses buried drums of plutonium-tainted refuse from government nuclear weapons laboratories in caverns a half a mile deep, remained closed since Feb. 14, when officials detected unsafe radiation levels at the site.

Violations at NM Nuke Waste Site
Kitty Litter Poses Nuclear Threat
NM Radiation Leak Cause: Kitty Litter
Damaged Material Found in NM Nuke Dump

Preliminary findings from an investigation of the mishap suggest at least one barrel of improperly packaged material underwent a chemical reaction underground that caused it to rupture.

The leak ranks as the worst accident at the U.S. Energy Department facility since it opened in southeastern New Mexico near the town of Carlsbad in 1999. The plant, the only facility of its kind in the United States, runs under contract for the government by Nuclear Energy Partnership LLC.

Schneider Bold

Plant managers initially denied employees working above ground at the site ended up affected but said later 22 workers suffered exposure to radiation, though at low levels not considered harmful to their health.

Surface-air monitoring conducted beyond the site by facility managers and university researchers in the days after the accident showed detectable trace amounts of radiation apparently had drifted from the plant. But state and federal officials likewise said they believed those levels were too small to pose a threat to humans or the environment.

However, additional independent air sampling required of the state Environment Department never occurred during the first week after the accident due to a staff vacancy at the agency’s Carlsbad office, spokesman Jim Winchester said.

State sampling resumed a week after the radiation leak, said Susan Kamat, director of that office.

A U.S. Environmental Protection Agency review of air testing in February and March found discrepancies in recorded times and dates of sample collections, flawed calculation methods, conflicting data and missing documents. It also found the facility sometimes said air samples contained no detectable levels of radiation when measurable levels were present.

Plant spokesman Tim Runyon said the review included recommendations “which we will use to improve our program.”

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This