Your one-stop web resource providing safety and security information to manufacturers

Residents of Sheffield, AL, were forced to evacuate Sunday morning after a chlorine gas leak at the Sheffield Wastewater Treatment Plant.

Residents remained concerned, but Colbert County EMA Director Michael Smith said there is no need to worry.

“So before we left the scene, we did have the HazMat team bring Chlorine detection unit over to use their portable meters to go around the buildings and homes where the leak occurred, and everything was clear,” Smith said.

Smith said the spill was caused by a faulty regulator, which caused a 150-pound cylinder of chlorine gas to leak at the Sheffield Wastewater Treatment Plant. Sixty-five pounds of gas leaked.

Cyber Security

Even though Smith calls it a minor leak, they had to get residents out fast.

ADEM and the EPA were notified about the gas leak.

People who live around the evacuation area were told to turn off their air conditioning systems to prevent the chlorine from coming into their homes.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This