Your one-stop web resource providing safety and security information to manufacturers

A South Carolina nuclear power plant will be getting more federal oversight after it tallied a number of incidents in recent years.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) will keep a closer eye on Duke Energy’s H.B. Robinson plant near Hartsville, where a diesel generator automatically shut down in October when radiator fan belts failed.

VT Nuke Slows Down for Oil Check
Two Nukes in for Overhaul
PA Nuke Back Up after Radioactive Leak
More Cracks Found At Ohio Nuke

No workers or nearby residents were in danger, and the diesel generator wasn’t actually needed. But officials said the degradation and poor maintenance of the belts was so apparent, the generator could not have kicked into action properly if necessary, such as during a power loss or fire.

“Overall, the Robinson plant continues to be operated safely,” said NRC Region II Administrator Victor McCree. “However, the additional oversight and inspection by the NRC is warranted because we expect plants to ensure that all important equipment is properly inspected and maintained.”

Schneider Bold

The action is a follow-up to an August meeting, in which NRC officials discussed Duke’s apparent failure to perform adequate preventive maintenance at Robinson. The agency said the October 2012 issues were low-level but still said officials would take a closer look so they could prevent future problems.

Robinson is undergoing a scheduled shutdown for refueling the reactor and other maintenance. A third of the fuel inside the single-unit, 750-megawatt pressurized water reactor needs to undergo replacement every 18 months. Officials estimated the planned outage, which will take several days, will cost about $60 million.

The NRC stepped up scrutiny at Robinson after incidents in 2010 that included fires, a faulty emergency generator breaker and inadequate worker training.

In 2011, a false alarm sounded in a reactor containment building while the unit was coming back on line after a faulty relay shut it down three days earlier.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This