Your one-stop web resource providing safety and security information to manufacturers

Almost eight years after the Fukushima nuclear disaster, prosecutors in Japan Wednesday demanded three former executives from Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) each face five years in prison for failing to ensure the safety of the power plant.

In March of 2011, the most powerful earthquake to ever strike Japan triggered a tsunami that caused three reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex to melt down, forcing hundreds of thousands of nearby residents to evacuate.

TEPCO to Shutter Fukushima’s Other Nuke
Significant Radioactive Release at Fukushima: Research
Japan’s Energy Future Includes Nuclear
Japan to Test Safety of Burying Radioactive Soil

In court on Wednesday, the prosecution accused TEPCO’s leadership of “postponing” safety measures designed to protect the plant from powerful tsunamis.

“It was easy to safeguard the plant against tsunami, but they kept operating the plant heedlessly,” prosecutors said at the trial at the Tokyo District Court, according to The Asahi Shimbum, a Japanese newspaper. “That led to the deaths of many people.”

Cyber Security

While the prosecution claims at least 44 people died in connection with the incident, other estimates have put the number around 1,600. Prosecutors called for the five-year sentences, the maximum punishment allowed for the charges, during closing arguments.

The three executives standing trial for negligence resulting in death and injury are former TEPCO chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata, 78, as well as former vice presidents Sakae Muto, 68, and Ichiro Takekuro, 72. They all pleaded not guilty.

The court-appointed lawyers said the defendants were told two to three years before the accident that a massive tsunami could hit the nuclear plant. They also said the defendants did not try to gather information about the potential danger. The court-appointed lawyers indicate the former executives later claimed they had not been informed, and the executives put all the blame on their subordinates.

The court-appointed lawyers also said the defendants should have suspended the plant’s operations when they were told that a massive tsunami could hit the plant.

An attorney for victims’ families was slated to speak on Thursday, but defense lawyers aren’t scheduled to deliver their closing arguments until March.

The executives’ trial follows a class-action suit decided late last year, when a federal court ordered TEPCO and the Japanese government to pay 500 million yen ($4.4 million USD) to thousands of plaintiffs — who received, at most, a few thousand U.S. dollars each.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This