Faulty electrical wiring continues to keep the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station shut down.

Workers identified a problem at the Oak Harbor, OH, facility with electrical wiring that connects a terminal box to the motor that powers one of the plant’s four reactor coolant pumps, said Jennifer Young, a FirstEnergy spokesman.

NRC Fines TVA for Safety Issues
Perry Nuke Leak Forces Shut Down
Nuclear Goldfish Case Solved
Palisades Nuke Restarts after Fixing Leak

The wiring requires repair, and testing of the motor continues, she said. She did not know when the plant would restart or what caused the wiring problem.

“That will be a longer investigation. That’s not an answer that I expect we will have quickly,” she said.

Schneider Bold

The plant automatically shut down 9:20 p.m. Saturday. No injuries occurred, and there were no threats to public safety, Young said.

“We are still able to provide adequate cooling to the reactor,” she said.

Young said testing of the motor wrapped up Monday, which will allow workers to determine what, if any, additional work they will have to do.

She declined to estimate when the plant could be back in operation, saying the start time is “considered competitive information.”

“It could impact the price of power when any plant is down,” she said. “So that’s why in the competitive marketplace we can’t share estimated … return-to-service dates.”

Some residents reported hearing a loud noise Saturday night, a sound caused by nonradioactive steam leaving the vents during the shutdown process, Young said. The steam turns the turbines to spin the generator.

She said customers will see no power interruption and said the company reported the incident to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).

NRC spokesman Viktoria Mitlyng, from the agency’s Chicago office, said an NRC resident inspector has been involved in monitoring the situation and will review the incident to try to determine a cause.

“Our residents [inspectors] were there to make sure that everything runs smoothly, and there were no complications. At this point, what we are doing is just monitoring the plant’s troubleshooting actions to figure out what happened,” she said. “The plant is in a stable condition.”

The plant shut down because of problems before, including a roughly two-month closure in 2011. While it was down for maintenance and to replace a reactor head, hairline cracks ended up discovered in the concrete shield building. FirstEnergy blames the cracking on weather during the Blizzard of 1978.

The Ottawa County, OH, plant came online in 1977 and its license expires in 2017. The operator is seeking a 20-year license renewal.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This