A CenterPoint Energy substation fire and explosion in northwest Harris County cut power to approximately 75,000 customers.
Authorities got the call just after 5 p.m. last Tuesday in Cypress, TX. As the fire became larger, those in the area heard one explosion and then another.
Concerned about air quality because of the billowing smoke, officials called for a shelter-in-place and nearby Hamilton Middle School evacuated. For a period of time, firefighters watched the transformer burn as the initial 10,000 affected customers turned into 75,000.
“There was a large transformer that faulted and caught fire. Exactly how that happened, whether it will be an overload or something like that, we’re going to work with them (CenterPoint) to get that information,” said Capt. Dean Hensley, with the Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office.
No one suffered an injury in the incident. The shelter-in-place lifted after the fire burned for three hours.
Crews worked through the night to reroute power and restore service.