Your one-stop web resource providing safety and security information to manufacturers

A raccoon got into some electrical equipment at the Delaware City, DE, refinery knocking a number of units offline, causing a large flaring incident Sunday night.

The raccoon got into some high-voltage switch gear at the refinery and “connected himself between a very high voltage bus bar and the ground, and that caused basically an electrical fault” said Delaware City Refinery manager Herman Seedorf. That loss of power caused a chain of events that knocked much of the refinery offline.

EPA: Leak Breaches Water Standards
DuPont: Chemical Found Off Site
Chemical Release Shuts TX Plant
Ammonia Leak at CA Nuke
Safety Report: Oil, Gas Sites True Hazards

When that happens, pressure can build up in some units because they’re not operating. To relieve that pressure, the gas goes to the flare to protect the equipment, refinery workers, and those in the surrounding community.

“All those safety systems worked as designed, but as the gas goes to the flare it has to be combusted, and that’s why you see a very large flare, especially when you have a number of units shut down like that,” Seedorf said.

Schneider Bold

During the shutdown, more than 1,000 pounds of carbon monoxide released, according to a report released by the National Response Center. The refinery also released 500 pounds of sulfur dioxide, 100 pounds of hydrogen sulfide and 10 pounds of hydrogen cyanide.

“We lost a number of these operating units all at once, and basically that meant we had a lot of stuff relieving through the flare,” Seedorf said. “There were some odors that we detected, but we also measured for any sulfur compounds that could be of concern, and there was absolutely nothing detectable by the meters that we were using.”

One source of concern for Sarah Bucic who is a member of the refinery’s Community Advisory Panel and others in the community following Sunday’s incident was the failure of the refinery’s community information line which should provide information to the public about events at the facility. “That was very unfortunate,” Seedorf said. “There’s a back-up generator that was supposed to go on, and for some reason on that particular night, the back-up generator didn’t come on.”

Determining the cause of the generator failure is just one item on a list of things refinery workers will follow up on after the incident. “We’re going to find a couple of other things that we’ll need to address to make it a world-class facility, and we’ll continue to address those.”

PBF Energy purchased the refinery in June 2010 and restarted operations at the refinery, which the previous owner Valero Energy, closed in 2009.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This